The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Any air compressor deals?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99gst_racer

Apr 5, 2003
Coloma, Michigan
So, my air compressor committed suicide today. It's clunking horribly, putting off quite a bit of heat, and won't build more than 4 psi. It was old, tired, and too small anyway. So, now I have the best reason for upgrading.

Which brings me to my question - Does anybody know of any killer deals running right now? Money is tight, of course, so I'm hoping to find a steal somewhere. I'd like a 30-gallon minimum (60-gallon would be better) and something capable of 150 psi.

If you know of a place that has such a deal, post it up.
Thanks!

We bought the Craftsman 33gal compressor that I currently use in the shop when I was literally 5 years old and it's still going strong to this day. Every time I drain the water from the petcock at the bottom of the tank, the amount of oil that I'm getting out of the tank seems to increase so it's probably time for a rebuild.

Although something to keep in mind is that the Craftsman compressors of today aren't the Craftsman compressors of 1985. There's a reason this compressor is $299 and the same thing was almost $700 twenty years ago.

I say go with the craftsman and I;m not just saying that because i work at Sears haha. My dad has a craftsman compressor and the thing works very well going strong for 8 years now and before that one he had a craftman one from the 70's

there were some for sale on amazon.com for cybermonday

i need to get one too........does anyone know the cheapest one i could get just to do some basic boost leak testing and maybe fill up some tires?

how many gallon tank and max psi i would need to do some little jobs like that?

i need to get one too, does anyone know the cheapest one i could get just to do some basic boost leak testing and maybe fill up some tires?

As soon as you get one you'll start eyeing the power tools and thinking about media blasting...

The smallest can inflate tires and pressure test but then can't usually run tools that need more air than a nail gun.

I don't know of any current deals, but check out Lowes' selection. My friend got an 80 gallon/140psi/16.1scfm @90psi Campbell Hausfeld for Christmas last year and supposedly his Dad got a hefty discount on it. It keeps up with all of our media blasting needs just dandy and is so much nicer to hear compared to his old 60 gallon electric Craftsman (belt driven ftw). We ended up breaking the Craftsman one day somehow (probably just overuse on the blast cabinet), but luckily the part to fix it was cheap.

I have an Ingersoll Rand TS7N7.5 that is slightly used for sale. It is an 80 gallon, 7.5hp, 230v, 175psi max, 25cfm@90 psi. Brand new they are two grand, but I will cut ya a hell of a deal. PM me.

Michigan is not that far a drive for what you can save here.

Last edited:
look for a good used cast compressor. we just picked up a 60gal 5hp unit, just be carefull that the voltage of the motor is the voltage available to you. I know Canadian voltages are different so im not going to quote anything.

we got ours for a couple hundred bucks and it works great. paints cars no problem, all you would ever need for a 1 man operation. Just curious.. why 150psi? What tools do you have that operate at that pressure? Or is it just to prevent the damn thing from cycling so often? My pressure switch is at 110psi and line pressure is at about 95psi.

I wanted 150 psi because I had planned to buy some 3/4" air tools as well.

I may have found one today. A buddy is selling one locally. It's a 60-gallon, 7.5 HP motor, belt driven, and it includes a 100 ft. cable for the 220V power (which I also have out in the garage). It has a 2 piston cast iron engine. It's never even been used. And he'll let me make payments on it.

I just need to get the model number and contact the company for more info as it seems to be an older model even though it's never been used.

I wanted 150 psi because I had planned to buy some 3/4" air tools as well.

I may have found one today. A buddy is selling one locally. It's a 60-gallon, 7.5 HP motor, belt driven, and it includes a 100 ft. cable for the 220V power (which I also have out in the garage). It has a 2 piston cast iron engine. It's never even been used. And he'll let me make payments on it.

I just need to get the model number and contact the company for more info as it seems to be an older model even though it's never been used.

sounds like a great find man, the older compressors are much better than the new ones unless you give you right arm.

We have a ingersolram 3/4 gun and sockets, Ive only ever used it on my axle nuts though and the 95psi line pressure powered it fine, 1/2" airline works best if you got big stuff, we use it normally to take the nuts off our highway coach converted motorhome/RV.

be sure to use the proper stop/start station with the required size overloads for your motor, and size the wire/breaker accordingly for it being a motor, im an electrican most just wire it up with whatever size wire to whatever size breaker and just turn if off and on then, if you'd rather do it that way its up to you, but if your unsure about how to size everything and want to do it properly and are unsure im more than willing to help you.

$400, Where?
I got it from a good friend that just happened to have it for sale. It was his uncle's and his uncle passed away a few months ago. It's an older model, but it's never been used before. My research shows it retails for about $600. And he gave me the 100-foot cable to go with it, and that's probably worth another $100 by itself.

This is it, basically: Product - Cast Iron Compressor, 3 Running HP, 60 Gal. - from Campbell Hausfeld

If this didn't fall into my lap at just the right time, I was probably going to go look at that 33 gallon Craftsman or a 30-gallon one at Harbor Freight.

I keep waiting the the piston(s) to fly out of my existing oilless Craftsman. It's served me well and due for a replacement but something always happens when I have the money that is a higher priority.

This time it's a timing belt and complete brake job on the wife's car.

Glad you found one. I'll throw in my quick review of what I have.

I just use one of those small 3 gal Craftsman ones. 125psi, 1hp. It's about $200 new.

It works great for small jobs. It's even ok for an impact wrench, but it's not very good for continuous use. It hates the die grinder I bought. It can't even fully pressurize my intake for a boost leak without kicking on. I don't recommend that any one gets this unless it's just for something portable. Go bigger.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back