The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Air compressor blew up.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I think about it exploding every time it charges.
It's so out of your control and even draining it doesn't totally negate the possibility of a weak or corroded weld giving way, but it does reduce it some.
One of those life things. You could be killed driving to the store, and are far more likely to, yet we all do it.

Most people don't realize they have a bomb in their shop. I've seen videos from years ago so I install auto drains on all compressors around me now.
I installed an auto drain on my newest compressor. My old tank got a hole rusted in the bottom. We welded it up and then brazed the weld and it holds, but if I would have had an auto drain, I wouldn't have had to buy a new one. I made my drain from Amazon components very economically. It comes on once a day for about 5 seconds. I can vary that time if I want with the turn of a knob. :thumb:
I wonder if the pressure relief valve didn't work or was old and stuck on the one in the picture that blew up. I test my relief valve every now and then just to make sure it functions.

I installed an auto drain on my newest compressor. My old tank got a hole rusted in the bottom. We welded it up and then brazed the weld and it holds, but if I would have had an auto drain, I wouldn't have had to buy a new one. I made my drain from Amazon components very economically. It comes on once a day for about 5 seconds. I can vary that time if I want with the turn of a knob. :thumb:
I wonder if the pressure relief valve didn't work or was old and stuck on the one in the picture that blew up. I test my relief valve every now and then just to make sure it functions.

You have a build thread for that? ROFL

But seriously if you ever have time to post up how you did it that would be awesome. I've looked into getting one but all the "factory made" ones I've looked at have bad reviews and then I back out of getting one

Wow.
Mine has a sticker that says it can EXPLODE, but RockAuto magnets cover that up nicely.
I've got an auto drain on mine too. Ahem, I mean, a leaky drain LOL Serves the same purpose anyway.

He did a follow up and thinks the seam weld was the weak link. Claims he drained it regularly and PRV was fine.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

several years ago I inherited a small compressor. I figured I could fix it up and use it (I didn’t have a compressor at the time.) I opened the drain and a ton of rusty water poured out. No way was I gonna pressurize that thing. It went in the scrap and I ended up buying a 30 gallon from Lowe’s that will run die grinders. Do my very best to drain it daily.

You have a build thread for that? ROFL

But seriously if you ever have time to post up how you did it that would be awesome. I've looked into getting one but all the "factory made" ones I've looked at have bad reviews and then I back out of getting one
I added an old air hose to the secondary timer, and piped it thru my wall to the outside.
Here are the basic components. I added quick connectors that aren't on the list.

myTouchSmart Indoor/Outdoor Plug-In Digital Timer, One Grounded Outlet, Two Easy-to-Set Custom Daily On/Off Times, Weather Resistant, Ideal for Small Pumps and Seasonal Lighting, 36027 https://a.co/d/iU21Ixu

Ac110v Automatic Timed Condensate Drain Valve for Compressed with Power Cable https://a.co/d/1tAJns7

Hromee Extended Tank Drain Assembly Kit with 10 Inch Braided Steel Hose 1/4 Inch Drain Valve and Elbow Fitting for Air Compressor https://a.co/d/iirerUe

Joywayus 1/2" G Thread Female × 1/4" NPT Thread Male Brass Pipe Fitting Adapter (Pack of 2) https://a.co/d/gm52ivq

I have one of these, little pricey but it just works. I have it set to be active when the compressor power is on, 5 sec every few hours.

I have one of these, little pricey but it just works. I have it set to be active when the compressor power is on, 5 sec every few hours.

That is not a bad price Jason. I think it's reasonable.
My best buddy has his air compressor in its own room because of noise but this is another good reason why!

You know Steve, that is really a good point 👉
I wonder myself......:hmm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back