The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

So what are you working on that’s NOT your DSM?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Punch this Item Number in over on Ebay - 155725987205.
:cool:;)

I’m not trying to stereotype based on age but dammit I knew you’d come through on this one Marty! I was thinking I bet he still has his original from ‘76 LOL. In all seriousness that’s the best price I’ve seen on eBay, I just might scoop that one up…then I’ll find it for next to nothing at the flea market as soon as I do!

Well.....I was doing "maintenance" around the house and found several air leaks around my electrical box and my washing machine plumbing so I grabbed a can of triple expanding insta-foam and went to work.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Now in this instance, I have to say READ THE DIRECTIONS......

My electrical box sealing went great, the water outlets in my wall by my washing machine is also right ABOVE my hot water heater.
Now things got "interesting". As I foamed around the pipes coming out of the wall, I didn't realize that ALL OF THE FOAM was going down the wall and expanding at the bottom. That is about 6"-8" from the water heater, and it is a Natural Gas water heater.
WHO KNEW EXPANDING FOAM WAS EXPLOSIVE ???
B O O M !!!!

It caught the drywall paper on fire, dusty stuff and blew the adjoining rooms cabinet doors open. My son thought the washer had fallen over or something and came running. I grabbed the garden hose and a sledge. :oops:
Do NOT use instant foam around an open flame!!! Shit. :nono:
Word to the wise (which wasn't ME)!!!
I was about 1 minute away from calling the Fire Department but got the thing put out.

JFC Marty! You have DSM stuff in that house! LOL
In all seriousness in the future if you’re NOT going to read the label on a construction product you’re unfamiliar with, please ask. Really though glad you got it sorted before the point of no return, sheesh!

Fires in between the walls can spread quick AF. A lot faster than you can imagine, and without any real outward appearances of a fire. It's the reason fire dept will knock holes in any wall that looks even a little sus, just to make sure. I've seen 2500+ sq foot houses go from "hmm, smoke is coming from somewhere" to "fully ablaze, total loss" in a matter of minutes.

But yeah, you dodged a bullet Marty. Great save.

I did that when I lived at home and had a storm come in that took out the electricity so we lit oil lamps and candles. When the storm passed, we went about our day but there was a smoke plume in the main room. I searched and found the fire, took all the lit stuff outside then knocked the sheet rock down to hose down EVERYTHING. The same thing I just did. I even went to the attic and hosed down. My mom came home from shopping to find a pile of burning rubble (mattress, box springs, end table) all smoldering and was like W T F? I told her I saved our house.
@CrackedDSM , look at what MY FIRE did to me. I haven't said anything yet.
2nd and 1st, maybe 1 3rd degree on my right hand. The flames I grabbed to THROW away from the wall was a big glob of instafoam that was ON FIRE, I just didn't realize it was foam. That fukin shit is like NAPALM!!!. I smothered it out on my hand. The ER tech asked how I put it out. Ruined a good shirt, hopefully saved a good hand.....
I am supposed to be at the burn center tomorrow but my 82 yr old mom has an emergency Colonoscopy at 11:15 tomorrow and I am the only one for her.
LIFE

Jesus, Marty, glad you're safe.
If you need an expanding foam for around stuff that can potentially ignite, use a fire block foam.

I used this whenever I was making holes right through the top plate of a wall that I didn't have access to both sides of. My walls are filled with Roxul mineral wool and behind that is insulating sprayfoam so if I had an inwall smouldering fire, I didnt want anything getting through wire or conduit holes made in the double top plate.

Americanized link below. We have the same product up here.

DAMN, MAN!!! Scary shit, for sure! Wow. I'm glad you got it out and didn't get banged up too terribly bad. That's nuts it blew the cabinet doors open in the other room. Damn!

Thanks guys! Appreciate the concern ❤️

Hey all, even tho I'm bandaged up, I'm still doing things that need done. My 20' dovetail trailer is getting front loading lights and a set of magnetic mountable rear loading lights, both on toggles on my trailer. All LED's. All 7" Spot/Floods for when we leave the track or anytime I need additional lights. I have a set of battery clips that will also couple in so I can use the magnet mount lights anytime, anywhere. I robbed the magnets from an OLD set of those HF magnetic trailer lights. They hold strong! Gotta stay busy. Hand is healing and I see MY Dr tomorrow.
Pictures: :)
More to come when all 4 are on and it's wired up.

We believe the previous repair, whatever that was where the oil pan had to come off, caused a good portion of this. The o-ring is either the feed or the return, the two ports are for the oil filter housing, which runs variable timing and is needed for direct injection, the camshaft follower which ate itself and lodged itself into the timing cover and almost cost them an engine. It’s not fun. This is why repairs are so much. It’s also a 2012 QX56 so it’s only gotten worse.

Taking a small break from automotive projects so I can get back into home renovations. Finding a balance for everything can be tough. Anyway, I installed some LED stove lights which made a huge difference - compared to the dimmable halogens.

Taking a small break from automotive projects so I can get back into home renovations. Finding a balance for everything can be tough. Anyway, I installed some LED stove lights which made a huge difference - compared to the dimmable halogens.

Looks good. One question though, have you ordered anything from Rockauto lately?

Looks good. One question though, have you ordered anything from Rockauto lately?
Thanks. It's been a couple of months since I ordered anything from them. I can't even remember what I got, but I remember not receiving a magnet with that order 🙁. After an 8 year spree of nearly weekly orders, I'm taking a break. At some point my orders will pick back up for my Accord project, but all cars are on hold while I catch up on everything else I've been ignoring or had on a checklist for a while. At some point in the coming years, I'll have the fridge filled top to bottom with magnets and nowhere else to put them. LOL

Finally got around to doing something I needed to do for like 6+ months. Properly hand wash and detail the Edge.

So much better. Next time I do it, I'm gonna bring my polisher and do a compound/polish paint correction on it then properly ceramic coat it. But man am I happy compared to how to looked before.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back