The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Oil Cooler???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoostedBeaver

Aug 15, 2009
Augusta, Georgia
So I am in the process of putting the car back together and I see the Old Air to Air oil cooler. I really had no plans to replace this piece. The engine ran like a champ when I removed it and I have no reason to believe that their is any shavings in this cooler. I was just wondering is there a way to have it flushed just to get all the old oil out? What would you do??? Thanks.

You can get as crazy as you want cleaning it, but since its a '90, I'd go crazy since its 21 years old.

Fill it with lacquer thinner and let it soak for 12 hours. Then drain it and refill it with Simple Green, letting it soak for another 12 hours. Drain the Simple Green and rinse it good with hot water until it comes out clear. Blow it out with an air compressor and shoot a bunch of WD-40 in there, its a water dispersant, then drain and blow dry with the air compressor again. Fill it with CLEAN motor oil and let it sit in there until you're ready to install it.

My .02 cents.

:dsm:

Thanks for the quick reply. Lacquer thinner did not pop in my mind so I will give it a try. Already got a gallon of simple green. Once again thanks for taking the time to give me this advice.

Just to follow up on this post, I did follow Gofer's instructions on cleaning the oil cooler and it worked out really nice.:) I had to buy a gallon of lacquer thinner so I filled it up and drained it about three times with that. Then I filled with simple green twice and then the rest of Gofer's great advice was followed. It worked nicely for anyone thinking of doing it. :aha: If you blew your motor keep in mind that it would be best for you to replace your cooler since it more than likely has metal shavings all in it and there is no way to every tell if you get them all out or not. :hmm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back