The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Here’s how to wire the horn to work with the Momo Steering Wheel & Hub.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello fellow DSM folks. I wanted to post this thread to show how to wire the horn with an aftermarket steering wheel without getting the wires all tangled up inside the hub. Hope this helps other people out with the photos and video I took!

Tools needed :
-18 AWG stranded Wire
-Heat Shrink (optional)
-Heat Gun (optional)
-Wire strippers & crimpers or solder gun (whatever you prefer)
-Butt Connectors
-Ring Terminals
-Female pin terminal (get the ones with a rubber protection on it, so if it touches anything the horn won’t go off)
-Hose clamp

1. Remove the steering wheel (optional) (find it easier with it off since it’s not in the way)

2. Remove the steering column. (2 or 3 screws underneath the column.)

3. Find your horn connector. (Mine was green and red) (Extend it to reach if you need to)
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

4. Cut one of the hose clamps and make a little hole in it for a small screw to fit through and put your ring terminal in. I screwed it into one of the open holes in the white plastic piece.

5. Bend the clamp to ensure it stays touching the bronze piece on the hub.

6. My hub had a black wire already soldered to that bronze piece on the inside. So that will be your positive on the horn.

7. The ground wire is just grounded to this steering wheel ring. This piece goes behind the steering wheel and it grounds by making contact with the metal hub as soon as you put your steering wheel on.

8. Go ahead and put the steering column and steering wheel back together and connect everything.

9. Press horn to test if it works. Rotate steering wheel all the way to the left and right while pressing the button to ensure it works while rotating.

10. You’re done. Be happy that your horn works now so that you can honk at someone who cuts you off or tries to back into you. Protect the Eclipse!!

Hello fellow DSM folks. I wanted to post this thread to show how to wire the horn with an aftermarket steering wheel without getting the wires all tangled up inside the hub. Hope this helps other people out with the photos and video I took!

Tools needed :
-18 AWG stranded Wire
-Heat Shrink (optional)
-Heat Gun (optional)
-Wire strippers & crimpers or solder gun (whatever you prefer)
-Butt Connectors
-Ring Terminals
-Female pin terminal (get the ones with a rubber protection on it, so if it touches anything the horn won’t go off)
-Hose clamp

1. Remove the steering wheel (optional) (find it easier with it off since it’s not in the way)

2. Remove the steering column. (2 or 3 screws underneath the column.)

3. Find your horn connector. (Mine was green and red) (Extend it to reach if you need to)

4. Cut one of the hose clamps and make a little hole in it for a small screw to fit through and put your ring terminal in. I screwed it into one of the open holes in the white plastic piece.

5. Bend the clamp to ensure it stays touching the bronze piece on the hub.

6. My hub had a black wire already soldered to that bronze piece on the inside. So that will be your positive on the horn.

7. The ground wire is just grounded to this steering wheel ring. This piece goes behind the steering wheel and it grounds by making contact with the metal hub as soon as you put your steering wheel on.

8. Go ahead and put the steering column and steering wheel back together and connect everything.

9. Press horn to test if it works. Rotate steering wheel all the way to the left and right while pressing the button to ensure it works while rotating.

10. You’re done. Be happy that your horn works now so that you can honk at someone who cuts you off or tries to back into you. Protect the Eclipse!!
Thanks for the write up.just a note that in future for write ups you may find it best to put them in the article section as you are showing people how to do it vs this place for Q&A's. https://www.dsmtuners.com/forum/articles-electrical-wiring.40/

How do i get this steering wheel with the DSM sticker in the center?
It is a Momo aftermarket steering wheel. As for the horn it’s a simple clip into the wheel. I believe I got it from eBay. Search “DSM Horn button” or “VR4 horn button” and look for the seller on there

The OEM JDM Evo 4-6 Momo steering wheel is a direct fit for 2G's and it already comes with the factory horn connector. Just a heads up in case anyone is looking for a plug and play OEM Momo steering wheel option. With this route, you won't have cruise control anymore though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back