The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Spyder Swapped out PTU module connector from car harness side

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Got new ptu in stilll same damn problem im extememly pissed off and frustrated now

This is the correct order? Pin 1 starts from right side?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Also i noticed i had the car on for 5 seconds and the ptu got warm/hot in that small amount of time

this was the original wiring on the original comnector i have no idea of this was a hack job or oem wiring this wiring colors in the front dosnt match up at all?

It looks like the Haltech diagram is labeled opposite of the factory service manual. Normally, I’d say that’s not an issue but the ignition inputs and coil outputs are swapped versus what the FSM shows.

Basically, what Haltech shows is their pin 8 is the FSM’s pin 1; their pin 7 is the FSM’s pin 2.

(Incorrect information removed)

Last edited:
Reviewing the wiring from the original post, those extensions look correct. And that’s how it’s wired now? Please confirm.

OK. Now that wiring is per the FSM, have you verified, that you’re getting spark on all four cylinders?

Got new ptu in stilll same damn problem im extememly pissed off and frustrated now

This is the correct order? Pin 1 starts from right side?

Also i noticed i had the car on for 5 seconds and the ptu got warm/hot in that small amount of time

That picture is upsidedown. And it sounds like you fried it.

When you look at the Factory diagrams you need to note where the latch/index and remember that what it's showing you is as if you're looking at the connector with the wires coming out of it, not looking at the connector with the wires facing away from you.

As noted above the pins are numbered left to right and if you look at the PTU it have the pin functions molded into the unit.

So what marked on the PTU as OC2 is pin 1 and pin 8 is marked OC1. Those are the outputs to the coils.
Also note that if you wire it backward both power and ground are on the third pin from the ends so you wind up connecting 12v to the ground and ground to the power input. Little surprised there wasn't any smoke.

Whoops. Yeah, I see I goofed there - the FSM diagram pictured does not specify which coil is which. I (mistakenly) looked at the pin numbers of the coil and decided those were coil designations.

Thanks for posting the correct info, Steve!

Whoops. Yeah, I see I goofed there - the FSM diagram pictured does not specify which coil is which.

Nor does it matter except to those of us with OCD. Since both channels of the PTU do the same thing all that matters is that the right ECU output gets to the right coil.

I will point out that if you look at the full diagram you'll see that the coil for cylinders 1 & 4 is connected to the OC1 output of the PTU on pin 8 and OC2 on pin 1 drives cyls 2 & 3.

can u label each wire left to right in this pic please

The ptu module gets hot extremly quick its not normal possibly a short in the wiring? everything is hookedup correctly ignore the unhooked wires was swaping them around too see if it made a differrence with the black and white stripe wires

Looking at the connector the same way the wiring diagram shows it.
Okay so i just realized i have 2g wire colors on the actuall harness and 1g color wires on the front meaningits a swap from 90ptu to a 91+ ptu? If u look at my original oem wires and connector

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back