The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Cheap (possibly free) and easy center mount for big tablets

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just a couple of notes for those that might not want to use this mounting method:
  • Depending on the size of the tablet, it may (probably will) cover your radio
  • It will cover your HVAC controls
  • Depending on the size of the tablet, it may get in front of your shifter (Auto guys don't need to worry)
  • You will need to look at the variation at the end if you plan on launching with the tablet mounted
  • This may work for 1g's as well, I just don't know where you can slide a thin metal tab in. Get creative!

I am not responsible for any damage you do to your device, car, or anyone in your car for "making" and/or using this mount

Ok so I just got myself a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1. The first thing I did when I got it was taking it to my car to see where I could use it. It's a big tablet so there wasn't much choice as where to mount it. The windshield mounts weren't cutting it for me, and the floor mounts were way too pricey. I made my way to youtube to see what kind of mounts were available and didn't see anything I liked until I got to one video.

Here's what you need -
  1. A metal book end from Staples
  2. Little bit of strength
  3. Maybe a sturdy straight-edge or the edge of a table

Those book ends came in two's from my local Staples store for about $8 a pack. You may even have one laying around being useless.

They look like this:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Here's what you do (and forgive the iphone quality pics :D) -

1. Peel the foam off of the bottom of the stand/end. It should come off easily enough. Try not to leave any of the glue residue on it. Residue wont affect it, it just looks bad. Don't throw the foam away until you move to the next step.

[*]Figure out what you are going to mount. For example, I mounted mine with its case still on it. That being the case I just threw the foam away.

If you are just going to mount the tablet without any case, you can use that foam to help protect it. It should still be sticky and reusable. Just cut little pieces to use wherever the tablet will be making contact with the mount. This way you won't scratch your tablet when mounting/unmounting it.

[*]Start bending it to fit the shape of the tablet (and its case if you are using one). The straight edge helps to bend it the way you want and it will help keep you from twisting it. Here's how I bent mine:

I could have done it more square-ish but I like it this way

Also, if you would like to move the mounting position up a bit you can bend it this way:

I chose not to because I did not want to cover up my boost gauge.

[*]Test fit your tablet:

You want it to be snug so that it doesn't slide around when your driving...or you could leave it a little loose and just squeeze it tight before driving.

[*]Your going to slide the long flat part (where you peeled the foam off) of the mount right in here:

Enjoy:

It does cover my head unit and hvac controls. These aren't problems for me because I just use the aux input on it anyways...and who needs the hvac in SoCal :D

**Small variation for the people that will be launching with this mount

You will want to make one more bend to hold the mount to the dash.

It doesn't have to be exactly like this. The point is you want the bend to hold the mount and keep it from sliding straight out.

This will get rid of the mount's ease of removal. You will need to pull out the vent bezel to install/remove the mount.

For any questions or comments just shoot me a pm

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm..Not sure whats going on with the pictures. I'll try to fix it

EDIT: Should be ok now

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back