The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Fuel Pump?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddyspaghetti

Proven Member
Mar 27, 2016
san francisco, California
Hello fellow DSM'ers, I'm currently looking to buy a new fuel pump but I'm not sure which one to go with. I have pretty much all bolt on's, full exhaust system, refurbished t25 and APR head studs.
EVENTUALLY, I'm going to start upgrading my car, bigger turbo, internals and all that good stuff. What I'm wondering is, should i go ahead and upgrade to a Walbro while I'm at it or would an upgraded fuel pump damage my car with what I have currently in it? Should i just buy another STOCK fuel pump? If so, can you guys point me in the right direction to which fuel pump to go with that would work best with my current set up?
Any help would be much appreciated, thank you

Do it once and you are good. It will depend on your goals as to what pump to throw in it. The "norm" used to be 255 upgrade but now there are 340's 450's 525's and even 535LPH pumps. Any of them would require a external AFPR but that should be on your list or already on the car if it has most of the bolt ons. I have ran the Aeromotive 340 and the Hellcat 525's and they are good with Ethanol but I don't know about the 450's. The 255's are DEFINATELY NOT FOR USE WITH E85. I used one as a lift pump from my 55 gallon barrel and it worked a few times then locked up tight as a drum.
As you see, you need to consider more than bolt ons, also the fuel that may be used in the future also. Just friendly advice.
I have a 525 pump in my mostly stock 90 GSX (AFPR, 1120's and a set of cams) just because I had a spare and it works just fine so a larger pump of any kind will operate the same way. That is my take on your question.

I would suggest a 190lph pump and a "hotwire kit" (basically bigger gauge wiring and a relay trigger off of the old pumps on command)

Yeah you can put a huge fuel pump in there now, but why waste money putting in a new aftermarket fuel pressure regulator. If you are just getting into modifying the aftermarket fuel pressure regulator can add complexity to the car.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but the AFPR does exactly what the stock unit does. It doesn't add "complexity" to the fuel system, it just allows you to adjust your pressure. Set them at stock PSI and leave them alone.

Anything bigger than a 190 requires them, although I have heard of some that have ran a 255 without one and no issues. It is an easy part to add later if you don't have one.

As @chrysler kid stated, buy from a reputable source such as our supporting vendors below. Don't get fooled into Ebay parts, ever.

I agree that the fuel pumps always need a rewire kit to bring full battery voltage to the pump. That keeps the pump at is strongest and you don't hear that "eeh aww eeh aww" when you use your turn signals from the voltage variations.

I don't think you need any big pump at this time, it is just a matter of spending and doing it now or waiting until later on in your build. Do you have a vehicle profile that shows all of the bolt ons/upgrades you have done? If not, you can make one HERE so all of us can see exactly what all has been done. :thumb:

Basically all that Marty said above is exactly what I did on my build, and I went down a similar if not identical route as OP stated. My 255 and AFPR will be all I need, especially since I don't want to hit over 400 hp or use E85.
STM used to/still make fuel pump re-wire kits that I bought off of someone on the classifieds, but most people just DIY it without a kit afaik.
Personally, I didn't want to rip the diaphragm on my stock fuel rail since it had over 200k miles on it, so I didn't run the 255 without an AFPR, I'd recommend OP does the same unless budget is really tight for some reason.

Thank you for the help everyone, i really appreciate it :)
You guys are right, there is a lot to consider before purchasing a new fuel pump. Money is a bit of an issue at the moment but i definitely need to replace the fuel pump.
Stock fuel pump might be the way to go for right now, but i was just wondering if i would be fine upgrading while I'm down there.

Then a Walbro 190 would fit your needs pretty well then. You can buy a used one for now as well and rebuild it or install a bigger one down the line.
(You should also fill out a vehicle profile so that people can see your list of mods and make recommendations accordingly, once you do start upgrading things)

Also, since i am leaning towards the stock fuel pump (unless you guys advise me to upgrade while I'm at it) which brand is it exact STOCK fuel pump to go with,

Then a Walbro 190 would fit your needs pretty well then. You can buy a used one for now as well and rebuild it or install a bigger one down the line.
(You should also fill out a vehicle profile so that people can see your list of mods and make recommendations accordingly, once you do start upgrading things)
Oh yes i just did that LOL

Oh yes i just did that LOL
As one of the helpers pointed that out :)

Also, ive heard about the Walbro 190s, quick question, is that pretty much plug and play? Just replace the old with the new Walbro 190?

I don't have experience with installing a 190 but my 255 was basically plug and play, yes.
Again, you will need to do a fuel pump re-wire as mentioned above to make sure the voltages stay consistent for the 190, but otherwise it is decently easy installation.

I don't have experience with installing a 190 but my 255 was basically plug and play, yes.
Again, you will need to do a fuel pump re-wire as mentioned above to make sure the voltages stay consistent for the 190, but otherwise it is decently easy installation.
Ok i see, thank you for the help :) btw, do you know what stock fuelp exactly should be looking for if i do decide to stay stock? For example, what's the brand and number? Any help would be much appreciated thank you

I don't, Im sure someone else will though.
You can also check vendors listed on this website and they might have OEM fuel pumps. Not sure about brand either, but usually they are Mitsubishi genuine.
Good luck

Bit of clarification. Usually Mitsu OEM parts are branded as "Mitsubishi Genuine" on websites or the classifieds.
They could be branded differently, but you can use "Mitsubishi genuine" as a search term as you go through the sites looking for one. I really doubt that anyone sells a new OEM pump, but I've seen crazier things happen. Maybe check RTM Racing? They have decent selections of OEM stuff sometimes.

Bit of clarification. Usually Mitsu OEM parts are branded as "Mitsubishi Genuine" on websites or the classifieds.
They could be branded differently, but you can use "Mitsubishi genuine" as a search term as you go through the sites looking for one. I really doubt that anyone sells a new OEM pump, but I've seen crazier things happen. Maybe check RTM Racing? They have decent selections of OEM stuff sometimes.

Oh i see, I'm definitely gonna type that in, I've actually been looking at this one

It's says it's pretty much plug and play and it says i don't need any other aftermarket parts, i'll be doing some more research before i purchase

You shouldn't need anything aftermarket for that 190 other than the rewire I talked about earlier.
A 190 doesn't pump enough fuel to burst the stock fuel pressure regulator diaphragm on your fuel rail, so you shouldn't need an AFPR.

You shouldn't need anything aftermarket for that 190 other than the rewire I talked about earlier.
A 190 doesn't pump enough fuel to burst the stock fuel pressure regulator diaphragm on your fuel rail, so you shouldn't need an AFPR.
Oh ok i see, the only thing is i don't see is the wiring kit, it doesn't seem included but it is included in the 90-94 kit . Also, do you have any experience with this website? Is it trustworthy? It seem legit

Also, since i am leaning towards the stock fuel pump (unless you guys advise me to upgrade while I'm at it) which brand is it exact STOCK fuel pump to go with,
Denso makes the OEM fuel pump.

I'm kind of confused, though. If your stock pump is working fine, why are you thinking about replacing it with another stock one?

Denso makes the OEM fuel pump.

I'm kind of confused, though. If your stock pump is working fine, why are you thinking about replacing it with another stock one?
Oh no, my stock pump is not working fine at all, it's making a super loud buzzing sound, i struggle to stay past 60 mph and on hills, i have to really press the gas pedal, it just seems like they're isn't enough gas reaching where it's supposed to, also it's a 97 and I've never replaced or even looked at the fuel pump

Last edited:
Oh no, my stock pump is not working fine at all, it's making a super loud buzzing sound, i struggle to stay past 60 mph and on bills, i have to really press the gas pedal, it just seems like they're isn't enough gas reaching where it's supposed to, also it's a 97 and I've never replaced or even looked at the fuel pump
Okay, that makes sense. Might as well upgrade if it needs to be replaced.

Oh ok i see, the only thing is i don't see is the wiring kit, it doesn't seem included but it is included in the 90-94 kit . Also, do you have any experience with this website? Is it trustworthy? It seem legit
BUT, i just noticed stm says they price match, so I'll be giving them a call tomorrow :)

Do you have a wideband? Any fuel system changes that are not OEM should necessitate a wideband. Even though the 190 is regarded to be p&p, that assumes a fully functional fpr. I've already had one for diaphragm rip on me by itself ..
those symptoms are curious, hope it works for you. I'd stick with a supporting vendor. Then you'd don't have to ask questions about being legit. Lots of fake walbros and aeromotives out there.

Do you have a wideband? Any fuel system changes that are not OEM should necessitate a wideband. Even though the 190 is regarded to be p&p, that assumes a fully functional fpr. I've already had one for diaphragm rip on me by itself ..
those symptoms are curious, hope it works for you. I'd stick with a supporting vendor. Then you'd don't have to ask questions about being legit. Lots of fake walbros and aeromotives out there.
Actually i do have a wideband, it came with the car when i bought it

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I'm gonna disagree here. A fuel pump upgrade does not change fueling. No need for a wideband at this point. Not a bad idea but there is no fuel altering.
Thank you for the heads up, i really appreciate it

And I can say STM has provided me with PLENTY of parts, even twice in the last 2 months, within a week plus they are a SUPPORTING VENDOR so they can be trusted.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back