The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Altered Mental Status(1G AWD 5spd)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OMG What caused that? Cut? Rodent?

Nah these cuts are too clean. I can piece together what happened pretty efficiently.

1) one of the previous owners wanted a race car so he cut the belt system out and left the motor assembly
2) with no fasten or other sensors telling the seatbelt that it’s closed or there, the buzzer went off ad infinitum
3) the motor went off infinitely too because there’s no sensor telling it when to stop anymore due to the track being cut away
4) dude got sick of it and just started clipping wires with dikes until everything stopped buzzing and clicking and whirring.

Thankfully I’ve been digging into everything related to the seatbelt system so it took ten seconds to find this problem. Door latch sensor works perfectly and wiring in the door was fine. So next step in the FSM is check the seatbelt ECU and the plug. Immediately found the problem. Lol.

I’ll do more wiring tomorrow and fix all the BS and hopefully I can keep going from there.

You guys have no idea how stoked I am about this. These seatbelts haven’t worked in legitimately 15-18 years ever since those racing seats were put in all those years ago. I am so very happy about this. I fixed all the wires and now they work like a charm.

It even fixed the passenger side belt too!!

The seatbelt buzzer goes off and the seatbelt light doesn’t turn off so I may have to just find and loop the seatbelt sensor if I don’t have one, but honestly…so satisfied.

Probably gonna put the ECU back in its OEM spot, replace the lock panel, then call today a wrap. Next up is fixing the headlights and she’s done(meaning she can be registered and driven on the roads in my opinion).

God man, this never felt like it was gonna happen and now that it is, it’s surreal.

True to my word, she’s bolted in and all panel’d up.

IMG_6026.jpeg

I obviously have to vacuum. But this a huge deal. It means I’m done messing with the ecus wiring and shift cables.

Also, this came in.

IMG_6027.jpeg
IMG_6028.jpeg

This was really cool man. He included adhesive heat shrink AND solder. Everything you need. So it’s officially speed density PARTY TIME baby.

But not today. It’s hot as f**k and wasps are out kneecapping fools.

But soon. Next week sometime hopefully.

No lie my yard is overrun with wasps, gnats, and these fuct up moth things worse than a jungle, like the moths look like they are raining upside down when you walk through the grass, and the wasps are invading and deep in the st. Augustine so you don’t know they are there until you step near/on them.
Yah, why didn’t I prioritize getting something done on the car with the 3 months of decent (livable) weather? Too much stuff to catch up on is the answer. Oh well, looks like we’ll be doing more painting in the dead of hell heat! LOL.
Glad you’re making some nice progress.

No lie my yard is overrun with wasps, gnats, and these fuct up moth things worse than a jungle, like the moths look like they are raining upside down when you walk through the grass, and the wasps are invading and deep in the st. Augustine so you don’t know they are there until you step near/on them.
Yah, why didn’t I prioritize getting something done on the car with the 3 months of decent (livable) weather? Too much stuff to catch up on is the answer. Oh well, looks like we’ll be doing more painting in the dead of hell heat! LOL.
Glad you’re making some nice progress.

The freakin gnats, man. We had almost a cloud start developing both in and out of the house no matter what we did, but then all the spiders moved in. Now we’ve got big ass tree spiders (half dollar sized or bigger) and no gnats.

Florida is becoming like an American Australia.

It really is bro, I swear it’s worse than a jungle in my back yard during the summer now. Oh yah and now something else new we haven’t seen here before/much. HUGE all black horse flies like 1.5-2” long, and these weird yellow horse flies. BOTH super aggressive! And the black ones are like A-Train on crack they are so fast! Like I have to take a big ass fly swatter outside just to play with the dogs because they are constantly trying to attack them. Doesn’t help the damn dogs expect to go play like every hour when we are home, LOL. Why the hell did I want to live in Florida?

It really is bro, I swear it’s worse than a jungle in my back yard during the summer now. Oh yah and now something else new we haven’t seen here before/much. HUGE all black horse flies like 1.5-2” long, and these weird yellow horse flies. BOTH super aggressive! And the black ones are like A-Train on crack they are so fast! Like I have to take a big ass fly swatter outside just to play with the dogs because they are constantly trying to attack them. Doesn’t help the damn dogs expect to go play like every hour when we are home, LOL. Why the hell did I want to live in Florida?

I ask myself that same question every day man. Lmao.

Not gonna lie guys, I swear I think this car is gonna crankwalk or has crankwalked already. Lol. It will randomly die when I push the clutch pedal in. But not everytime. When I try to recreate the condition, it won't even stutter.

I swear it's mocking me. I'm gonna just go ahead and probably plan on the engine grenading. I'm very curious how this first oil change goes. I may honestly cut the oil filter open too. Something I've never done.

Last edited:
Holy shit. FL sounds MISERABLE in the summer! LOL. We get to sample some of that fun in Jacksonville next week for a wedding...yay. hahaha.

Meh, could be a crusty IAC. Sometimes things just need to be driven and smooth out.
10-15 years ago it was still hot but bearable/enjoyable. Straight misery now. 102 degree jungle in my back yard mowing tonight and it’s not even June.
Yah hopefully just another as Rob said crusty gremlins to work out. She needs some TLC.

10-15 years ago it was still hot but bearable/enjoyable. Straight misery now. 102 degree jungle in my back yard mowing tonight and it’s not even June.
Yah hopefully just another as Rob said crusty gremlins to work out. She needs some TLC.

This bi*** has been getting TLC for a year straight. She better start putting out is all I gotta say. :p

But whiny comment of the day:

I hate waiting for slow ass economy shipping for my car parts. Bought headlights off of eBay and they shipped it out through Amazon to USPS. So of course Amazon is taking their sweet time.

Intake is shipped out via FedEx from Cali and every single thing I’ve gotten from Cali is almost always delayed for three extra days or more for no reason.

Headlight pigtails came in today though. Yay.

(Whining over. And it wasn’t really that serious, meant more lighthearted. :) )

Oh shit, it's officially getting serious yall.

Just insured the Talon. Monday or Tuesday I'm going down and getting her tagged/registered.

Start posting up some 7 character custom plates. I've decided on something already, but I'm willing to change if someone has a good one.

Headlights came in today, which is awesome. Also the OEM pigtails came in a few days ago, so soon as I have time off I’ll install it all and have working headlights again!
IMG_6038.jpeg

IMG_6039.jpeg
IMG_6041.jpeg

IMG_6042.jpeg

Super excited. But these pigtails were fairly hard to find. Someone said rockauto had them but I honestly couldn’t find them there. But find them eventually on the googlez I did!

Last edited:
For some reason they're listed as a "socket", but there are indeed many of these on RockAuto.

Yeah I found them after I posted. Lol. I was making a list of AC parts and found it. It was cheaper where I got it though so I’m happy. Same plug too.

Decided I'm gonna fix the A/C, because I've got all the lines, a good compressor, the condenser...everything pretty much is installed. I just need a new seal kit, a new drier, and of course a belt. I'm not sure if all the relays and stuff are there, and I'm not quite sure that I'll be able to control what vents it comes out from...but honestly, doesn't matter. It'll still cool the interior of the car. Plus it's a bucket list thing. Fast with class, all the comfort stuff.
To-Do
  • Wire wideband to ECU/Calibrate
  • Fix Seatbelts not working
  • Find/Fix headliner/interior firewall leak
  • Fix rough idle/misfire on cold starts
  • Fix knock sensor not showing connected to ECU(ECMlink keeps giving fault code for no knock sensor detected)
  • Fix stock gauges not working(mainly fuel level gauge, but for giggles wanna fix water temp and oil pressure, for OEM hawtness)
  • Find replacement or Fix current side mirrors doing the flippity floppity(the mirror inserts themselves sag down and won't stay where you put them)
  • Fix headlights that don't pop up(P.O. says missing relay, start from scratch though)
  • Fix Driver's Side headlight not working(aftermarket units w/ ballast...might scrap and go to old fashioned sealed bulbs/halogen)
  • Clean up ECU wiring/make passenger side clean and OEM looking(ECU on floorboard out in open right now)
  • F*CKING REMOVE THE NIGHTSHADE ON THE TAILS(either replacing them or doing the sand them clean and buff them shiny trick) (it's been tinted so g*d d*mned dark that you can hardly see when I'm on the brakes. Idiocy.)

Feels so good to cross more stuff off that list. There's honestly not that much left on the list. I need to mess with some settings to troubleshoot my rough cold idle or whatever, but I'll do that later. Probably create a new thread and have people comb over some new logs after I do a few more things.

But, so far, new list iiiiiisss.

To-Do

• Find/Fix headliner/interior firewall leak
  • Fix rough idle/misfire on cold starts
  • Wire in MAP and IAT sensors, convert ECMLink to SD.
  • Post up logs and beg loudly for help with getting ECMLink's SD to work
  • Threaten to part the car out and give up again for the 50th time
  • Fix W/T and Oil Pressure OEM gauges(for giggles)
  • Fix Side Mirrors(or replace)
  • Fix headlights that don't pop up
  • Remove Nightshade/Tint off of ridiculously dark Taillights
  • Fix Air Conditioning/Get A/C working again

Awesome stuff. Gonna register the car probably tomorrow or Tuesday some-time. We'll see what happens, I may wait an extra week or so, but it's gonna be registered soon. Stoked!

Alright, fixed the headlights today. Now they actually turn on and work! Yay! Gonna test them out later tonight when the sun is actually down. I legitimately took 20lbs of wiring out of the car by removing the HID/Projector housing abortion. The good thing is they completely ran separate wires from the harness and only modified the passenger side plug to an H4 plug. So I only had to rewire one plug. The driver's side plug was still there, it was just tucked in the OEM spot attached to the back of the headlight bucket. So that's cool. Removed weight, and both lights function properly now. Curious how bright these are, as they're the top end model for sealed beam halogens.

While I was at it, since the car runs and drives now, I installed my better set of headlight covers/fake headlights, and the painted center grill I did a few months back. Might not seem like it, but it looks so much better now.

IMG_6054.jpeg

IMG_6055.jpeg

IMG_6057.jpeg

Sadly I could fix the pop-up function of the headlights yet. I was hoping there was just a missing pop-up relay in the engine bay, but it's there. I haven't checked continuity/multimetered it yet so it could still be bad, but I think there's a bigger problem somewhere. Gonna have to dive in tomorrow or this weekend when I feel more up to struggling in an ocean of humidity and 95* temps.

Also: I'm getting extremely annoyed by this cold start misfire thing. There's a stumble at like 1.5-2k rpm, but below and above that it's fine. I think tomorrow I'm gonna pull the plugs and change them out to a new set of BR7's. I really think there's a setting in link somewhere that's f***y. Meh, regardless, I'll mess with it later. For now, I'm happy to have working lights.

I’ll post logs in a bit, I just took a couple idle logs, but it’s gotta be coolant temp or temperature related. Because after letting it sit and it warm up from residual heat, it no longer has the stumble or misfire and idles fine.

Could the FIAV being blocked really make it stumble and misfire when it’s dead cold?

Edit: Attached log for giggles just in case anyone wants to comb over it. I didn't change anything or mess with anything so there shouldn't be anything new or manky. Just a simple idle log. No misfire or dying this time. I have no f**king clue. Lol. When it warms up it's fine, but dead cold it has a stumble from 1.5-2k and tries to die.

Attachments

• log.2024.05.27-01.elg
    277.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Happier note; these headlights are awesome for just normal sealed beam halogen bois. Not a huge difference between high beams and low beams but there IS a difference. I don’t need to kill people’s eyes.

Low
IMG_6062.jpeg

High
IMG_6063.jpeg

Now I can drive the car at night. Stoked. Next up is fixing the leak inside so I can drive it in all conditions!

41 pages. 1 year and 4 months. Damn this car has come a long way in a relatively short amount of time. Where it is now is almost a completely different car vs when I got it. Seatbelts work, headlights work, full OEM interior with all the trim panels, ECMLink replaced the aem ems, moved the gauges and fixed most of the wiring gremlins including no functioning tach.

Not to mention got rid of the terrible eBay T3 setup and parts store $15 fans, and etc.

Here’s to more progress and seeing where this car is a year from now!

41 pages. 1 year and 4 months. Damn this car has come a long way in a relatively short amount of time. Where it is now is almost a completely different car vs when I got it. Seatbelts work, headlights work, full OEM interior with all the trim panels, ECMLink replaced the aem ems, moved the gauges and fixed most of the wiring gremlins including no functioning tach.

Not to mention got rid of the terrible eBay T3 setup and parts store $15 fans, and etc.

Here’s to more progress and seeing where this car is a year from now!
Its been an excellent and inspiring read from the audience side.

So stoked about this. I know this all seems like small stuff to most, but I can't express to you how big a mountain of small things can be. Death by a thousand papercuts. It felt like this stuff would never work again, and I had no clue where to start. Honest to God/being candid here, this one DSM has taught me more in a year and a half, than all the other DSMs and years combined that I've been here. I had to pull out the FSM/Electrical manuals and just do my own research, and a TON of you helped me a long the way, and to that I'm eternally grateful. Truly.

The headlights pop up and down, man. This is pretty much the cherry on top. After this I don't really have anything else to do besides minor stuff like fix an interior leak, and tune it.

The fix ended up being a bad pop-up switch on the gauge cluster. I guess it was either stuck closed or open, but either way, I had a spare thanks to the previous owner, popped it out, and now they work. Easiest fix ever. No rewiring, no multimeter stuff, nothing. Just swap and done. Stoked.

Its been an excellent and inspiring read from the audience side.

Thank you my friend. 🤗 I truly appreciate everyone's kind words and advice that I've been blessed with this past year+. Without yall we never would've gotten to this point.

Y’all just look how much better she looks with those popups down.

IMG_6071.jpeg
IMG_6072.jpeg
IMG_6074.jpeg

Also: the proper intake arrived today. 3" of goodness. So this weekend I'll give it a buzz buzz and maybe try switching to SD. At the very least I'll get everything mocked up and cut to fit so when/if I want to switch, I can. I'm honestly in no hurry to SD tune this thing yet, at least until I get the MAF tune all dialed in and more comfortable with everything.

Last edited:
Irony of ironies, man. The DSM just helped me fix my Ford. It's already returning niceness and love back to me.

The brake pedal switch in the Ford Edge for the brake lights, works in reverse of all other switches. So when it's touching the brake pedal, the lights are off. When it's not touching the pedal, the lights are on. Well I came outside to the brakes of the Edge stuck on. No idea how long that was.

So I delved into it, and the switch doesn't just touch the brake pedal naturally, there's a PLASTIC bushing of some kind that's pressed into a hole that spaces out enough to touch the switch. So naturally after 4-5 years of black car + florida heat, it ended up crumbling and breaking into nothing.

So the first thing the Talon did to help me out, was give me one of the interior trim panel screws. It's width was wide enough to force start new threads into the hole, and the head was tall enough to space itself out perfectly. Perfect fix, and works better than before. As a bonus, that bolt will never crumble and break.

So I go to start it to move the edge...dead battery. FML. Wait, AMS Talon, what's that?

Second thing she did was lent me her battery to start the Edge and get it charging on its own again. Started it up, trip around the block or two, and now she's all charged and better.

So yeah. What an adventure. Bunch of things fixed. If this happened before work or at work when I got off, I'd have been screwed. This Talon needed some TLC man, but she's already helping out.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back