The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Street Build 1g build - The Real Life Trials and Tribulations of building a DSM

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Told ya.... ROFL
And, really, anything over 50-60% ethanol and you are getting the most out of the engine that you can. You will be running 15* timing or a tad more and boy will she seem like a different car!
Good to hear the news! đź‘Ť

Well straight from the engineers from Motor City Reman, they said the best way to clean out the alternator is spray it with brake cleaner🤷

I ended up just ordering a new one from MCR im hoping that it'll be here before the weekend.

Swapped out my driver side radiator fan yesterday without draining the coolant. Which was neat. Just pulled the entire radiator basically out but with the radiator hoses still connected. Probably a dumb move but oh well. Swapped in a new slim 12" SPAL fan.
PXL_20240212_220533485.jpgPXL_20240212_220537345.jpgPXL_20240212_222259855.jpg

I did order a radiator shroud off eBay so we'll see if that fits at all or not Too.

Finally got around to tightening down my battery tie down inside the battery box and remade my ground to the trunk.
PXL_20240212_211728785.jpgPXL_20240212_211730730.jpg

Hey man the car sounds NASTY! Are you on a sealed catch can set up? I haven’t blown a dipstick since switching to a vented set up, like EVER. I don’t understand peoples logic behind sealed over vented for a high power setup. Anyways I hope you get her sorted out! And by the way I made almost the exact same uncorrected numbers as you at 37psi:D, again man I love the car I’m glad your finally getting to enjoy it!:rocks::rocks:

Hey man the car sounds NASTY! Are you on a sealed catch can set up? I haven’t blown a dipstick since switching to a vented set up, like EVER. I don’t understand peoples logic behind sealed over vented for a high power setup. Anyways I hope you get her sorted out! And by the way I made almost the exact same uncorrected numbers as you at 37psi:D, again man I love the car I’m glad your finally getting to enjoy it!:rocks::rocks:
I've actually got a vented vibrant catch can. It hasn't blown again since we fixed the target lambda.

I actually just watched your Dyno video on the Tuners YouTube channel today and saw that! Lol we're not too Terribly far from each other too so it doesn't surprise me much.

That’s right! We went to Custer a couple years ago during the sturgis rally, saw Mt Rushmore, Rushmore Candy Co LOL and Reptile Gardens, It’s a Beautiful part of the country for sure:)

I am really considering switching my transmission goal to one of the Neat 1/4 setups.
I really like the idea of a dogbox but the the Neat setup does include a new center diff, billet bearing plate, new 3/4 shift rail, shift forks upgraded everything really and its still a synchro trans so it would be great for street driving still. neat says it should be on par with what the ppg gearset should hold. And all of that, is bolt in with what sounds like no modifications to make fit.

Im really torn between the two..

I’m holding out for NEAT :) I’m excited for reviews hopefully by the end of this year with results, hoping my Jacks holds out till then LOL, 1100 miles so far so good, but I’ve never launched the car once. It’s not a race car, drag racing breaks $h!t LOL

I’m holding out for NEAT :) I’m excited for reviews hopefully by the end of this year with results, hoping my Jacks holds out till then LOL, 1100 miles so far so good, but I’ve never launched the car once. It’s not a race car, drag racing breaks $h!t LOL
I plan on beating on mine LOL I want to drag race it also.

The NEAT gearset should hold up…on paper anyway:p
Hopefully. It sounds promising but of course with all new things there's worries.

Kurt (bastarddsm) brought up a good point that they are able to make the gears wider is because they're making the synchro teeth smaller which is a compromise.

Radiator fan shroud came in yesterday. A quick little mockup, I'm not sure it's gonna fit. Mounting tabs aren't really in the same spots I don't think.

Its only 3/4" thick, I didn't expect it to come with fans (I'm Not going to use them). Sometime I'll drain the coolant and pull the radiator off and test fit it.

This unit was just over $100 on eBay.
I think this summer I'm going to work on getting a shroud made from backside of intercooler to radiator to help with cooling as well.

PXL_20240213_230440590.jpg

PXL_20240213_230446400.jpg

Alright got the new alternator in last night (what a pain in the ass honestly) and flashed the new revision from Zach and holy balls this girl RIPPSS.

Targeting 40 psi now and it spins through 2nd.

Found a center diff with a torrington bearing mod done on ebay for $150 so i snagged that up.

I did some digging on Amayama and Mitsubishi Epic data's website for a evo 3/ 91.5-92 3rd/4th shift rail to plan for a dogbox. I think thats the route im going to go. Yes, i understand they aren't indestructible but it sure as hell is more stout that the factory gearset.

Im going to sell this '90 gearset also since i really have no use for it.

at this point fingers crossed transmission holds up for awhile while i finish tuning. My throwout bearing is going out as it sqeaks now while cold idling and dissapears when i push the clutch in. I already have a brand new oem TOB on the shelf ready to go in but just didnt want to down the car again just yet.

3rd gear keeps grinding going in while shifting quickly. Im assuming its probably a pressure plate travel/disengagement issue like Bastarddsm says. Im thinking about picking up his upgraded Slave to see if that aleviates the issue and if not ill end up pulling the trans, tearing it down again and checking everything out.

Im SUPER happy with the car right now. There still little things that i need to address to really make the drivability stuff better and more comfortable/ more appealing but those arent at the top of my list.

Looks like FUN! Hope you get to enjoy her for a bit before you either pull the trans or it fails LOL, I’ll be “targeting 40psi” this spring now that my arc2 is installed. The car looks FAST even in the video, which normally never does it justice, that car looks like a RIPPER!!
It's definitely getting fast as shit LOL
Zach added more aggressive boost curve AND 3° almost everywhere. So we're on like 39lbs and 13° I think?
Uncorrected:
PXL_20240222_232010494.jpg

Corrected:
PXL_20240222_232138626.jpg

I can’t get over the spool up on that 67mm, looks like it hits around 5500rpm which is similar to my 6266, that’s pretty impressive, numbers look good too:D what’s the ethanol content in your tank?

I can’t get over the spool up on that 67mm, looks like it hits around 5500rpm which is similar to my 6266, that’s pretty impressive, numbers look good too:D what’s the ethanol content in your tank?
When I looked this morning, 66%?
I'm more impressed with the 500 wheel at 6k LOL

Well today I think I've found the surprising first limit of my newly found power.

Seems like my carrier bearings for the driveshaft are going out. Under hard acceleration, I think it smacks the underside of the car LOL of course this is all speculation since I can't look under the car AND go fast at the same time.

I looked under the car and one of the joints looks like it's hitting SOMETHING under the car. But I can't confirm for sure. I did order up some JXB carrier bearing upgrades and I'll get those installed to see if that fixes it.
Screenshot_20240224-175037.png

I also ordered up a late 91-92 shift rail from Amayama in preparation for a dogbox. Confirmed with Tim Z that this is indeed a compatible rail. I'll end up also getting White Shed Speed billet 1-2 fork, and the Chromoly 3-4 rail end when it's time.

This thing is so slow, needs so much more power.

What? Oh not your DSM, that thing freakin' rips. I meant my Edge. :(
Man my mother in law has an edge sport and it's Got some spunk. It's really fun to drive haha I begged her to let me take it to the track last year but it never happened LOL

And thanks about the car LOL it's definitely fun. Super weird today, I felt like it was almost slow again.

Man my mother in law has an edge sport and it's Got some spunk. It's really fun to drive haha I begged her to let me take it to the track last year but it never happened LOL

If you manage to get ahold of it/obtain ownership of it, get it tuned. Grab a tuner/MyCalibrator from Livernois Motorsports for like $600, and tell them hook you up with an E30 tune as well as their other ones(they include all the tunes you want for free).

Tune only on the '15-'21 Edge Sport/ST(same thing) makes them capable of running 12.9's. With the traction issues though it's more like low 13's. Still, significant gains.

If you manage to get ahold of it/obtain ownership of it, get it tuned. Grab a tuner/MyCalibrator from Livernois Motorsports for like $600, and tell them hook you up with an E30 tune as well as their other ones(they include all the tunes you want for free).

Tune only on the '15-'21 Edge Sport/ST(same thing) makes them capable of running 12.9's. With the traction issues though it's more like low 13's. Still, significant gains.
That's actually nuts. What elevation?
My brother's heads/cam blown 5.7 jeep runs a 12.4.. LOL

That's actually nuts. What elevation?
My brother's heads/cam blown 5.7 jeep runs a 12.4.. LOL

I have some Dragy screenshots/uploads from mine when I was in NC. DA was like 3000ft or so.

In Florida's negative or almost exactly 0ft elevation traction is a massive, massive problem. It's like a haldex-type AWD system so it's kinda FWD bias.

With some stiff springs, and some 265 good/sticky rubbers all around it'll do 12.6's all day thanks to traction.

But yeah, sorry, getting off topic here. Long story short: don't sleep on the Edge Sport if you need a family cruiser that's comfy and still can slap ass with just a tune. With a tune, traction, and an ultimate performance intercooler, they'll run mid 12's all day long in any environment. And the Explorer ST is even better. It's RWD bias true AWD, and will run 11.8's on E85, intercooler, tune, stock everything else. Nuts.

We had a 2015 Edge eco boost my wife misses to this day, while we’re currently off the topic of Anfurneyy’s SLOW dsm, I’ll say the only reason we traded it in was from the Ford flex plate issue:barf:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back