The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Headliner Repair

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello guys. My 2g Dsm headliner was beginning to come apart and look extremely ugly so I decided to remove & repair it. Good time to remove replace or repair your sunroof if equipped like I did with min since it will be exposed. Most difficult part of this job for me was scrapping all the old foam off. Takes patience.

TOOLS & SUPPLIES NEEDED:
1. Utility blade
2. Philips screw driver.
3. Push pin removal tool.
4. Sharp pair of scissors & utility blade
5. Two yards of headliner fabric - Headliner fabric (got on e bay) all seem to ship from California 46x42 is how much I used on 2G Dsm sold by the yard. Bought 2 yards or can buy locally.
Shop vac or any vacuum cleaner.
6. 3M spray adhesive. This is what I used:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

7. Large wire brush dollar tree or Home Depot ace etc not small ones at part store.

Here’s how to get headliner out:
1. Remove sunroof switch bezel has a small cover. Hides two Phillips screws
2. Remove the Sun visors and retaining clips.
3. Remove the grab handle on passenger A pillar has two plugs cover the Philips screws.
4. Remove the retaining seal for headliner to sunroof cavity.
5. Pop out the top part of A pillar plastic cover by the windshield left and right side. (Pull hard but carefully)
6. Remove the push clips there for headliner. Left & right. (On pass side have to remove grab handle first)
7. Remove the coat hanger rubber covers above left & right rear quarter window (come out upwards) to expose the Phillips screws for the coat hanger. Remove those. Pop and pry the panel back carefully just enough to reach the push pin for the headliner. Or can do more labor to completely remove the panel for easier access. Headliner is ready to be pulled down.
8. Lay seat backrest backwards, There’s a plastic panel runs on inner upper rear roof where it meets rear hatch. No need to remove that just pull headliner out of it going towards front of car 3/8 of inch or so. Didn’t want to risk cracking it.
9. Open trunk and barely fold headliner, remove it through the trunk.

Once removed, lay it on a table /work bench or floor like I did and peel off the old cloth.

Then wire brush off all the old foam so glue will adhere well.

I used a vacuum cleaner every few minutes because there’s lots of foam everywhere and if you don’t they end up sticking to the other side of headliner where you don’t want them. Good to have a helper vacuum as you brush off foam at same time. I picked the stitched headliner material on e bay but don’t like it. Going for the suede in my other car. I used about 46 x 40. They sell the material by the yard.

Once foam completely removed I laid headliner board on the backside of the new fabric and drew an outline with a sharpie where all the cut outs for the sunroof, visor and push pins etc are located.

This was to also help determine where I would spray the 3M adhesive. I chose to spray on both headliner & the Oem fiber backing plate. Could be done by just spraying on the backing but I wanted to make sure no sagging anytime soon!

Use a new pair of scissors! Dull one had to go in trash! Leave about an inch or two of fabric longer than the backing plate towards front and rear of headliner when cutting .

Spray the 3M adhesive carefully but generously on the fiber headliner board as per instructions on adhesive can. Carefully lay the board onto new head liner material within the area outlined by sharpie and press the two together to stick by hand. Flip it over. Can use a small roller in flat areas of the headliner where possible & if have one like I happen to do.

Very important part of the process: squeeze every inch down together to ensure adhesive sticks the two together.

Lastly use harbor freight 0.99 cents break off style utility blade to cut out hole for sunroof in the fabric also the holes for sun visor and holes for push pins. Trim off excess headliner fabric as needed. Except the front and back leave 1-2 inch overhang fabric.

Flip it over. On front of headliner (faces front of vehicle when installed) spray adhesive on the 1-2 inches of fabric that sticks out further than the board. This is on the side that will face roof of car. Repeat same process at rear of headliner with the 1-2 inch excess fabric and glue to other side of board. Let the finished headliner sit for glue to set for a while.

Installation of the headliner is the reverse of removal. I’m sure there’s other ways to do this that maybe better but this is how I did mine. Hopefully might help someone. I picked the stitched fabric which I regret now wish I got the synthetic suede. Here are some pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Curious why you chose the 3m super77 instead of the formulated 3m headliner spray? About to do this and the sliding shades myself with headliner fabric from JoAnnes but have the headliner specific spray and want to see what made you go with 77 instead. Thanks man.

That’s what I had at home and have used b4 to fix another saggy vehicle headliner for a friend so you should be fine using the formulated one you mentioned.

Very nice write up. I did the same a few years ago. It was a quick and fun project that really freshened up the interior. Wish i knew about using the wire brush to rough it up for better adhesion, I shouldve done that, but still holding strong so far using the 3m headliner adhesive. Surprised how flawlessly everything went and was easier than i thought it would be. +1 on the importance of having a sharp utility knife and sharp scissors and also making sure that every inch of the material is pressed down to bond with the adhesive.

One other tip that I can add if I may...
Once you unscrew the grab (a.k.a oh shit handle), Its a pain to figure out what orientation and order those little pieces are suppose to go back in if you didnt take a picture of keep it together.. so wrapping some tape around the ends can save you a headache.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back