The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Galant VR-4 Restoration #129/1458

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Back to our regular programming ....

Before reinstalling the gas tank we want to undercoat this section of the car. That means some grinding. I've done this before inside the garage, but it's a total mess. So, this time I wanted to put the car up in the air outside. So we rolled the back of the car out of the garage. Basically left the front wheels on the edge of the concrete.
9XmqVg.jpg

Up the air, here's the underside of the gas tank area.
I62xwv.jpg

Shot of the drivers side and the frame rail.
pLLGdk.jpg

Passenger side. That is an original OEM muffler. Not sure how many VR4 exhausts exist out there anymore.
ONkZc4.jpg

So after about an hour or so of grinding, here's what we got. Note ... all we're trying to do here is knock off the rust and clean up the undercarriage dirt so we can apply paint.
Bx3cC8.jpg

Frame rail again.
5fnhk5.jpg

Passenger side
skuLZM.jpg

If you get inspired to attempt this, I highly recommend safety glasses and a mask. You're gonna get a lot of junk flying around that you'll be covered in. My guess is breathing it is probably not the best idea.
I noticed when under the car there was a ton of just plain dirt under there. I don't know if someone was trying to rally this car, or whether it was parked in a dirt for a time, but I decided to just get a regular hose and some degreaser and wash what I could of the underside while it was outside.
2COOlF.jpg

I'm not sure if we're gonna drop the subframe as part of this restoration or not. It'll really depend on how much time we have later in the process.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back